Description of time series:
Between 2015 and 2019 the number of overfished stocks showed a significant upward trend.
Description of gauge:
The gauge value of 24 indicates that between 2015 and 2019 the average number of overfished stocks in the California Current region was much lower than the median number of all overfished stocks between 2000 and 2019.
Description of Overfished stocks:
Fish play an important role in marine ecosystems, supporting the ecological structure of many marine food webs. Caught by recreational and commercial fisheries, fish support significant parts of coastal economies, and can play an important cultural role in many regions. To understand the health of fish populations - as well as their abundance and distribution, we regularly assess fish stocks - stock assessments. Assessments let us know if a stock is experiencing overfishing or if it is overfished i.e. how much catch is sustainable while maintaining a healthy stock. And, if a stock becomes depleted, stock assessments can help determine what steps may be taken to rebuild it to sustainable levels. Understanding stock assessments helps measure how well we’re managing and recovering fish stocks over time. We present the number of overfished stocks by year in all regions.
Overall Scores mean the following:
High values for overfished stocks are bad, low numbers are good.
- 0 - 10: The five-year overfished stock status average is very low compared to the median value.
- 10 - 25: The five-year overfished stock status average is much lower than the median value.
- 25 - 50: The five-year overfished stock status average is lower than the median value.
- 50: The five-year overfished stock status average equals the median value.
- 50 - 75: The five-year overfished stock status average is higher than the median value.
- 75 - 90: The five-year overfished stock status average is much higher than the median value.
- 90 - 100: The five-year overfished stock status average is very high compared to the median value.
Data were obtained (28 Aug 2019) from the NOAA Fisheries Fishery Stock Status website https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/national/population-assessments/fishery-stock-status-updates. Stocks that met the criteria for overfished status were summed by year for each region.